Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine bonus

I was going to put this on my blog but I figured it would fit well here. I need to get this up now since I'm working on my Super Youth Pastor post for tomorrow. SYP will discover the Love Crazed Teen Zombies have spread through out the Lock-in. Tomorrow I will be too busy to work on the bonus so here it is.

My wife and I are having a pretty good Valentine's day for us. We have been married for nearly 10 years now. In the past 6 years we have had very poor V-day experiences. She was on bed rest with our first 6 years ago. 5 years ago our first was in the hospital on V-day. I joke that I put her up in the most expensive room in town. PICU is far form cheep that's for sure. My daughter was quite ill with RSV but recovered pretty quickly. The following year we had to cancel our plans because our son had RSV. Fortunately we were able to skip out on the hospital stay that time but we did have to watch him closely. The following year she was on bed rest for our 3rd and she was in and out of the hospital during this time 3 years ago. 2 years ago our 3rd was quite sick with complications from RSV and last year we were just getting settled in having moved half way across the country just 2 weeks prior.

This year things are not nearly as dire as year past but I think my wife's expectations are quite low. The plans were to go out for a nice lunch today and for my wife to get her nails done. Even somethign that simple will not work out on V-day. Not for us. I'm not really complaining thought. Life is pretty good. Sure we've had sick kids all week and my wife is sick today but nothing we had to go to the hospital with so in comparison this might well be the best v-day we've had in the past 6 years.

I know it seems like a pretty sad place to be. We went out to BK for lunch today instead of our plans for a nice lunch together. Our kids have been sick and my wife is sick, but it has been nicer than the past and so I'm more than content.

It may seem sad to many but I think that we are doing good and that is the important thing.

12 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

I'm sorry your wife and kids are sick. I think it doesn't matter where you go; just that you are together. My husband and I are just going to Denny's. People will wait on us so we'll feel spoiled (we're a 29 out of 30 days a month eat at home couple..and sometimes it's more like 59 out of 60 days)lol and we'll be side by side, enjoying each others company :) That's the best. Happy Valentine's day even though ya'll are sick. ♥

Candy said...

Bless you for taking care of each other - that's the best gift of all. Ron Burgundy and I enjoyed a lovely dinner of black bean soup at the breakfast bar tonight while we watched the dog throw up. After 35 years, it just doesn't get any better than that. Oh, and it's his birthday, too. When all is said and done, the Valentine's Day candy is 75% off and the roses are back down to 9.99 a dozen, it's who's sitting next to you at the breakfast bar that matters, and you just pray the bean soup doesn't kick in all at once.

You're a good man, Nick. I say that with no smarty pants.

katdish said...

Candy,

Put you pants on for goodness sake! This is NOT that kind of blog!

You are a good man, Nick. (And I am wearing my pants.)

P.S. - Can't wait to see the next installment of SYP!

Candy said...

Disclaimer: I'm wearing YOGA pants, just no smarty pants. I'm in Iowa, it's snowing like a banshee (really, banshees do snow, wail, and blow) and no self-respecting corn-fed woman would hang out without lovely pj pants. This is when I pity those Victoria's Secret models. They must shiver their timbers all the time.

Nick, did you get your wife one of those Snugglies? I WANT ONE? It would be great for when you're sick (or every day November through May here).

Beth said...

Wow, that's a lot of sick kids going on...is there some kind of flu shot we can send you in the mail? Or some spa vacation for your wife... If I ever become a millionaire, I'm going to send over worked pastors and their wives on REAL vacations.

Beth said...

Did someone say Snuggie?

Candy said...

Snuggie, yes, Beth. Click here for awesomeness.

Beth said...

I've got two Snuggies, Candy! Courtesy of Katdish herself! It all goes back to this post. So the video has been filmed but not edited or posted quite yet...

Candy said...

Do you ever get mummified in them? That would be my biggest fear. I once wore a pair of flannel pj bottoms to bed in flannel sheets and felt like a deranged Christmas camel on the flannelgraph board at Sunday School. I had claustrophobic nightmares all night!

Beth said...

No mummification so far. But I've only slept in it when I fall asleep on the couch in the middle of the night after feeding the baby. I am one hot lady! They are rather large, though, so I have to roll the sleeves up if I want to use my hands for anything. And I haven't quite mastered the folding of a blanket with sleeves yet either...

But trust me, it's a must for us midwesterners in the frozen lands! I really DO hate turning my thermostat up!

Nick the Geek said...

I just want to make sure that everyone is wearing pants, snuggie or not.

Speaking if snuggie my wife wouldn't use it. She has a super giant blanket (like king sized) that is made of that minkie material so it is super soft. She accidentally left her first one behind at a hotel when we moved last year so I replaced it with a new one on V-day a couple weeks later (along with a few other goodies).

PS the latest SYP is up. Super Youth Pastor and the Lock in of Horrors I'll warn you that it is pretty long. I ended up with a pretty big story to try and squeeze into 5 posts.

Candy said...

Nick, can you say Granny Panties? Nope,didn't think so.