Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The nerve of some people


Sometimes I could just scream. I can't even tell you how mad I am. Some people are just huge jerks.

I was shopping today. My wife gave me $20 to get some things from the store while I was out. I reached into my pocket to get my grocery list and the $20 fell to the floor. I was reaching to get it and this lady grabbed it. I tried explaining to her that the money fell out of my pocket and she refused to give it back. She kept saying that she saw it on the floor so it is fair game. I got so mad that I asked her if she was in preschool still or what. Then she started making a scene and told me to leave her alone or she would start screaming.

I had my debit card so I could get the stuff I needed but honestly I was just too mad to even think about it. I followed that lady around the store while she picked out things to buy with my money. Sure she might have had a need but stealing is different than asking so I just got more and more angry with her.

I probably should have tried getting a manager but when you're mad that kind of thing doesn't occur to you. I just kept hoping the money would fall back to the ground so I could swoop in a pick up what belonged to me.

She got to check out and paid. While she was paying I could see she had plenty of money. She had at least 3 $100 bills that I could see plus other bills and I decided that I wasn't going to let someone steal from me that has no need. I followed her outside and she was parked just down from me. She was driving a new Lexus. It was all I could do to stop myself from keying her car.

As she started loading her groceries into the trunk I grabbed a bag and kept walking to my car. I'm not sure she even saw me do it but I figure I got about $20 worth of groceries. Maybe she'll figure it out when she gets home and maybe she'll figure out that you can't treat people like that.

12 comments:

katdish said...

That is stunning. My mouth is hanging open. I can't say that Jesus would approve of you taking the bag of groceries, but still. It made me smile.

Stephanie Wetzel said...

You did NOT do this. Are you making this up? Was this before or after the Teen Zombie Lock-in?

So seeing your Super Youth Pastor costume didn't dissuade her?

katdish said...

Steph,

Not even the red satin underwear worn on the outside of his clothing.

Now I have to go shopping. Can I pick you up a Snuggie?

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Please do. In red satin. (But don't be droppin your cash in front of any Lexus-driving rich ladies. You know how they are.)

Helen said...

Nick, I don't know what Jesus would do...(okay, I kind of do, but that wouldn't stop me...) If I could run fast enough, I would have done exactly the same thing. I hope you got the package with the meat in it! Prime rib! I am so mad I could use a swear word! I think I will. SHIT!!!!!

Candy said...

Seriously Nick, is this true??? Or are you pulling my Snuggie-covered leg???

Nick the Geek said...

Hmmm, now I feel kind of bad. I made Helen say a wordy dird.

Usually when I tell people about this they get good and worked up and eventually someone asks what was in the bag. You really won't believe what was in the bag though.

It was a bunch of bologna just like this story.

I should have told the story on a day where I'd have been able to respond sooner, but today was a crazy sort of day.

Helen said...

Nick, if you are telling us that you made this up, all I can say is that you appropriately named this post after yourself! Hmmph!

Ryan B said...

I would probably do the same thing. But this story was really bs? That's upsetting. I thought it was pretty BA of you.

Sherri Murphy said...

Liars, strippers, cussers...I go out for a several hours and return to all this!

What is happening to this fellowship?

Beth said...

Haha. Since I've been gone most of yesterday and today...this is pretty funny...but I've of course heard this story before...;)

Sit A Spell said...

OK...I was so thinking, poor you...as a good southern christian gal would think...THEN...I read your post! This is my first visit here...now, I'm gone.

God bless your heart ; )