Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wedding Feasts

It's nice to have a group blog to go to when I can't post on my own.
And today I can not post on my own.
My husband's friend, my cousin's husband, passed away on May fourth.
My family usually doesn't read my blog, but on occasion they are bored enough to see what I have been up to....
So I am hiding here today. I never gave them this web address. They'd have to be bored enough to click my blog roll to get here, and I don't think that will happen.
It is Tuesday night, and I won't be able to sleep until this poem is written, and at least scheduled to post. So scheduled to post it is... Thank you, fottsp friends, for indulging me once again.


Weddings

Your speech was simple and sweet
The toast you shared was an Irish blessing
You were an excellent best man
the perfect choice to pair with my maid of honor

You both must have agreed
because two years later you were an even more perfect bride and groom
So hopeful, so loving, so loved
And the joy shared by our family and friends increased exponentially

We danced at each other's weddings
Prayed for and with each other at weekly meetings
Saw one another at family functions
Joined each other for dinner on occasion

You took care of yourself and your beloved
No caffeine, NutraSweet, or sugar...
Fresh fruit juice flavored your carbonated water
yet you were careful not to impose these views on others

But cancer does not follow any rules
It steals the life we all had known
It doesn't care who you are, what you've done, or how much you're loved
It just thunders in like a marauding army

So our happy times soon ended
You wanted to be alone in your suffering
Just you and your beloved
No one else to share what was left of your life

There is no more hope for happy times together
The ones we shared years ago will have to suffice
Until we meet again at the wedding banquet
Prepared by God for His Son and those He has chosen.


4 comments:

katdish said...

Wow, Helen. Beautiful. Thank you.

Candy said...

You show your heart beautifully, Helen. Please share more of it with us. Love it.

Duane Scott said...

I feel your pain. And I'm sorry for your loss. It was beautiful.

Michelle said...

Made me cry. I pray for you and your loss.