Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Third Worst Valentine's Day Gift


Yesterday we got a package from UPS. Frank gets stuff on the internet/ebay frequently, so no big deal, right? It was a certificate saying someone had named a star after him. Yeah, read that one again. It came complete with star chart so you can find his star in the sky....WHAT?? Here's a quote from the certificate:

"Be it known to all that the star herein designated as USC9574308-12 and residing within the boundaries of the constellation Capricorn is hereby named and registered in your honor as Frank Blank(not putting our real last name on here). The star's astronomical position is right ascension 21H02M38.85S, Declination-14D51M37S, Magnitude 13.33."

It's signed by Zac Brandenberg of the Universal Star Council. Really? Zac? Wasn't he a lego maniac?

I know I'm kind of geeky, but I certainly didn't buy it. FRANK didn't buy it. So who did? We think it might be a joke. A joke that cost $39.95.

So if you are really strapped for a creative Valentine gift, be sure and go to www.yourstar.com. Tell them Beth Blank sent you. And don't forget to wish apon a Frank.

11 comments:

Ryan B said...

Wow. That is really interesting. I wonder who did that. Did it come with the little star stuffed animal too? Or was that just a picture?

Stephanie Wetzel said...

"wish upon a Frank"...*snort

I know what I'll wish! That he helps edit your snuggie video! Your audience awaits!

Nick the Geek said...

I thought you'd appreciate it.

Beth said...

Haha. Nice try Nick, but if you are a pastor and have four kids, I don't see you spending 40 bucks on a piece of paper. :)

Ryan...nope, no stufty star. Just a pic I found. I would have felt better if it WOULD have come with it, though.

Helen said...

My Parents Loved This Song.
Your picture made me think you could throw that star around (play catch) with that song playing...

Nick the Geek said...

I do have a green stuffed start that says "your a star" on it. I got it free at orientation for the hospital that I'm a volunteer chaplain at. When one of the kids say something particularly stupid I throw it at them and say "your a very special star."

That's the kind of stuff I can afford but its way cooler than "frank the star" I wonder if they cheat and occasionally resell the stars. There are more than enough but ppl can be lazy so ...

Also what happens if the star is in an inhabited system so there are prior claims on the star or worse it turns out the star went nova millions of years ago but because of the distance we won't see the explosion for another few years. You finally get around to looking at your star and it's gone. How suck would that be?

katdish said...

Well, you know I didn't send it! And what the heck is a lego maniac? The puffy star is cute, though. Buddy Love would dig it the most.

katdish said...

Nick -

I think you should change your name to "Geek the Nick". You know, prioritize. Also, I'm going to look for breaks in conversation this weekend to say, "How suck would that be?"

Nick the Geek said...

You know I could do that but then it would lose the whole "Nick the Greek" thing I was going for. Although I do hope I come to a better end.

♥ Kathy said...

I knew you could get stars named for people but isn't that odd that you don't know who sent it? It's awfully cute though lol I would like it but I'm weird :)

Stacey said...

Beth, I totally got your lego maniac reference. :)