Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Rock'd The Valentines Card

My very teenage daughter and her boyfriend spent Valentines Day evening making some pretty awesome cards for me, while Jon and I were wining and dining my parents at our favorite restaurant. To me, there is nothing better than receiving a homemade gift or card from one of my children. The fact that Kyle made a card for me, well, I'm going to treasure this one forever. Keep in mind that I live in a town of about 80,000 and Kyle lives 35 miles to the south in a town of maybe 7,000. We call him our 'hick from the sticks'. He is a great kid with super-involved parents and I always enjoy having him around.

The picture above is the outside of the card he made for me. And this is the inside of the card. Yes, you do see a reference to roadkill. There is a lot of roadkill down in his neck of the woods. Yes, his 'roadkill' reference stems from an incident of two small-town teenage boys who didn't really think before they acted and stumbled upon a 'fresh' roadkill deer on their way to school. I think the idea that they should share it with the whole school was...well, a bad idea from the start and not many brain cells were involved in the decision to do so.

Ok, it was flat out bad. But we have had a ton of good laughs and let's just say that small-town teenages find some pretty interesting ways to keep occupied.

6 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

That is awesome!

I am also from a hick town and I don't do roadkill either!

I'm a high class redneck!

Glad to know that a redneck is up in your area to keep your feet firmly planted!

katdish said...

I always tell my kids, "You know mommy likes store bought presents!"

Just kidding...I love handmade gifts from the kiddos. That's great.

Candy said...

Nothing says "suck up" like a Valentine to your girlfriend's mom. The kid knows what side his bread's buttered on.

Careful about that "hick from the sticks." My town has a whoppin' 2500. We call roadkill a block party.

Seriously, that was a sweeeeet Valentine :)

Annie K said...

Candy, my daughter thinks I liked Kyle's valentine better than hers. It's just that nothing says love like roadkill. It's pricesless.

Growing up, this town was 15,000...loggers. We were the hicks from the sticks until the Californians moved in. I'm still a hick at heart...just classed up a little. Nothin' like a good Pabst Blue Ribbon if you know what I'm sayin'.

♥ Kathy said...

Great card :) Your roadkill story reminded of a time I was driving my kids and some of their friends to camp one summer. It was way out in the woods. Two of the boys that were with us were from a very small town (less than 5000). The first smushed animal we passed the oldest boy said mmm breakfast. We all groaned gross lol then we passed another one and his brother said mmm and lunch too! We all laughed so hard I almost had to pull over! :)

Beth said...

You mean you're NOT supposed to fry up what you find on the road????

Just a sec, I gotta go clean out my freezer....